VFW Scout of the Year Program
Applications due March 1, 2021
Annually, the Veterans of foreign Wars (VFW) of the United States award three individuals who are: Eagle Scouts, Girl Scout Gold Award recipients, Venture Summit Award recipients and/or Sea Scout Quartermasters who have risen above their peers in exemplifying the qualities of that rank.
$5,000 1st place National scholarship
$3,000 2nd place National scholarship
$1,000 3rd place National scholarship
Are You Eligible?
To be eligible for this award, candidates must
- Be the recipient of the Eagle Scout Award, Girl Scout Gold Award, Venture Summit Award or Sea Scout Quartermaster Award
- Be a registered & active member of a Scouts BSA Troop, Girl Scout Troop, Venturing Crew or Sea Scout Ship at the time the above award was received.
- Have demonstrated exemplary citizenship in school, Scouting and community.
- Prior national Scout of the Year winners are ineligible.
- There is no minimum age requirement for applicants as long as all other eligibility criteria has been met.
- The maximum age requirement of applicants is 18 years old. If an applicant reaches their 18th birthday during the nomination year, they remain eligible as long as they are still in high school at the time of the submission deadline.
- A Scout may enter through only one VFW Post.
There is a four tier process for award
- Complete application and submit to your nearest VFW Post. Applications are reviewed and one is selected to be forwarded on to the VFW District committee. Some Posts offer local scholarships.
- Applications selected by local Posts are reviewed by the VFW District committee and one is selected to forward on to the VFW State committee. Some districts offer district scholarships.
- Applications selected by VFW Districts are reviewed by the VFW State committee and scholarships are given out in the amounts of $1,000, $500 and $300. One is application is selected to be forwarded on to the VFW National committee.
- Applications selected by each state are reviewed by the VFW National committee and scholarships are given out in the amounts of $5,000, $3,000 and $1,000.
- Scouts interested in applying should complete the application and submit to their nearest VFW Post by March 1, 2021.