The Guide to Safe Scouting online version is the most current, accurate resource for BSA policies. Staff and volunteers should bookmark this site for quick reference.
Age-Appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activities and Camping Guidelines for Lions
The addition of Lions in the Cub Scout program is now reflected in the most recent updates to The Guide to Safe Scouting.
Program Guidelines for Lions
- Lions may not attend summer day camp or resident camp. The Lion program is designed to start in the fall or when school starts. Early recruitment of Lions before they are in Kindergarten is not allowed such as a spring pre-kindergarten recruitment.
- Lions may attend council-organized Family Camps, Pack Overnighters, Lock-ins and Family Camping.
- Lions must have a parent, legal guardian, or an adult partner who was approved by the parent on the youth application, attend all Scouting events and activities, including meetings with them.
- Lions may participate in archery and slingshots as part of a council-organized shooting sports program. Tigers, Wolves, Bears, and Webelos may also participate in BB Guns as part of a safe council-organized shooting sports program.
- The full list of age-appropriate activities can be found on Age Appropriate Guidelines for Scouting Activities.
Yours in Scouting
Raymond W Brauer, Scout Executive